Monday, November 12, 2012

Welcome and Caramelized Onion/ Butternut Squash Soup

Welcome to my blog.  I have been playing (told by my girlfriend I should) with this idea for a while and it's finally time to start writing my amateur recipes down for whoever is reading this to enjoy (and lack of job).  Whenever I cook something interesting I'll post and tell you about my time and how delicious it is.  Ignore spelling and grammar thanks.  So here goes.

The first recipe is a Caramelized Onion Butternut Squash soup.  This takes about an hour to an hour and a half of work then you gotta let it sit to develop flavor.  And of course like any good soup, put it in the fridge and it will be better the next day.

Here's what you need:
5 quart sauce pot (with a lid is preferable) 
large flat bottom frying pan
emulsifier (best choice for soup) or a food processor

What about ingredients you say?
1 package of butternut squash, I use it from Costco, its like 3 lbs, roughly 2 butternut squashes(?) if you feel like cutting them up and all that noise make them cubes.
2 or 3 midsized onions
1 quart of chicken broth
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
Olive oil
thyme
salt and pepper

Flat pan
-cut the onions into thin strips
-coat the bottom of the large flat pan with oil and butter
-once hot, evenly spread out the onions, cook and leave in pan for about 10 minutes

Sauce pot
-coat bottom in oil and butter(all of it), put on medium heat
-add squash, stirring regularly, once soft just barely cover in chicken broth and leave until its at a medium boil

Back to the flat pan
-sprinkle salt and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar on to onions, stir every few minutes, let it stick to the bottom a bit too until they all start browning (35-45 min, don't let them burn, let em brown)

In the Sauce Pot
-emulsify (blend) or if you do not own a hand blender you can use a food processor  but don't put too much into a blender because you don't want to lose all of it and this makes a pretty good amount of soup so careful, this is why hand blenders are the awesomestness, just stick it right in)
-once the consistency is only a bit chunky, add some thyme (TIP 1: fresh is best always but dry works too) a bit of salt, a bunch of pepper and the rest of the sugar, lower to a simmer, stir every few minutes

SAME FREAKIN' POT
-once the onions are the correct amount of brown, by correct I mean you like the taste, (Tip 2: Taste as you cook) add them to the pot and cover a with a lid, slightly tilt, to let some steam out (you want it to cook down a bit).
-let it simmer for AT LEAST 30 minutes, remember TIP 3: the longer the better, and that goes for soup too, I leave it for about an hour but if I had time maybe 2.

Then you're all like "what should I do with all that extra time", and I'm all "cook another awesome dish" and then you're like "there's nothing new up yet" and then I say, "pshhh, you figure it out."

I hope you like my first post, let me know if there are problems and adjustments shall be made.

TIP SUMMARY 
#1 Fresh is best
#2 Taste as you cook
#3 When it comes to soup longer is better

-AJ

don't forget to follow my twitter @aj_weinberg

No comments:

Post a Comment